Thursday, August 18, 2011

Help In The Kitchen

Something I have been doing in the kitchen lately, is cooking beans each week This is a simple way to make mealtime easier,and often, tastier. I cook beans in the crockpot each week, to freeze. I soak the beans overnight in a large bowl. Now, it depends on the size of your crockpot how much beans you will be able to cook. I have a 5 Qt. crock, so I soak about 5 cups of beans overnight in water with whey ( from a failed adventure in yogurt), or lemon juice. In the morning I will rinse the beans, put them in the crock with water an inch or more above, and cook on low all day. When tender, I rinse the beans and package in freezer bags in the portion size that I need for various recipes. When using the frozen beans from the freezer, I sometimes thaw in the fridge during the day, or add them frozen; they break apart quite well. A simple nutritional help.

No comments: